Moving from USA to Australia, need a transformer?

by  |  earlier

0 LIKES UnLike

We are moving to Aust. and we would like to take some electrical things with us, does anyone know if there is a transformer that we can connect to so they can work over there, if so what is the name and can I buy it from the USA?




  1. i actually live in australia and want to move to the US. yes, you do need a electrical valt converter thingy.

  2. I don't know about australia but I spent some time in Europe.  If you are not in the military I would find a base and they usually sell them there.  I always bought mine from someone leaving and going back to the US.

  3. yes, very simple.

    I live in Australia but when my dad had to go to Stockholm for a week, he needed a transformer for a few personal items and he picked one up from the same place he brought his baggage.

    But do shop around, transformers can be expensive! Look at luggage shops, travel shops and maybe even Target, K Mart and maybe even your Wall mart.

    good luck and enjoy this wonderful country of ours!

  4. There are transformers - you can usually find them in luggage and electrical shops near tourist areas.  I bought one at Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco a couple of years ago.

    It is worth checking the power pack/charger for things like laptops and other portable devices.  A lot of these are dual power - they work with 110 volts and 240 volts.  The voltages will be on the casing of the charger somewhere.  If you have a dual voltage device you only need a plug adapter - not a transformer.

  5. buy it here in australia.d**k smiths electronic,tandy and many electronic shops in australia

Question Stats

Latest activity: earlier.
This question has 5 answers.


Share your knowledge and help people by answering questions.